January 1, 2011

The 10 Best Things About 2010

2010 was a rollercoaster ride of a year for me.  However, I like rollercoasters and when I disembark from a wild ride I usually reminisce on it with fond memories (while I stroke my hair back into place).  This is a countdown of the 10 best things of 2010. Come take a stroll with me down memory lane.

#10: The book Simple Church
I don't consider myself a bookworm, even though I probably do read more than the average person.  So when Pastor Scott gives me a book to read on the topic of leadership I usually treat it more like an assignment than I do a pleasureable opporutunity.  However, this book was the most helpful text (outside the Bible) that I read all year, hands down!

It's because of this book that we now have simplicity within our system that is the Student Ministry. We have come up with a three-step process in which we seek to get students to Connect (with God and other students), Grow (in their faith, Scripture and confidence) and Reach (to their families, friends and school).  Because of that we now have a system in which to offer fun events like the JumpOFF, baptisms, student leadership courses, etc.  I really don't know where we would be as a ministry without that book.  Kudos to you, Pastor Scott, for your recommendation...or assignment.

#9: FPC Student Band
I am almost sure that this will be even higher on the list for 2011.  At the end of the summer, I reluctantly took over leadership of our worship band (gulp).  I'm not a music director, I can't chart chords and I really don't play an instrument (double gulp).  I can sing, that's about it.  However, I was fortunate to get the help of so many individuals this year to keep this music ministry afloat.  Such people as Taylor Allison, Evan Neal, Jordan Winborne, Elijah Burch, Doug Wardwell, Nick Parker, Ryan Smith, Lacy Lamb, Bob Chambers, Amber Jones, Ashleigh Huff among others.  It's crazy to think that at least 11 musicians have been on stage on a Wednesday night for us this year!

We'd be nothing but a band full of screeching feedback, dull colors and unknown lyrics were it not for our tech team of Kaylin Sass, Hunter Allison, Tim and Tyler Chappell!  They've helped us produce music from artists ranging from Hillsong to Kutless to NeverShoutNever. (We're pulling some Red Hot Chili Peppers out of the hat for January, just so you know!)

This year is going be even better, I'm sure.  We're welcoming a new guitarist and drummer for 2011 that will become fixtures in the lineup (Adam Edwards and Jared Wice)!  We're developing a team, not only a band, that has the passion, drive and talent to take this music ministry to all new heights and I can't wait for it!

#8: The 30-Hour Famine
I kind of feel as if this should be higher on the list, especially since it's coming up again next month.  Our first year of doing the Famine was an overwhelming success.  Just check out these numbers:

  • 50:  People who spent the night out front of Southgate Mall in boxes in FEBRUARY
  • 28-32: The average temperature when we were trying to sleep
  • 190: Number of meals we prepared and served to the homeless & needy in the ECity area
  • 1,200: Pounds of food we raised during our door-to-door drive for the Albemarle Food Bank
  • $8,200: Money we raised for children affected by the earthquake in Haiti
  • 36: Haitian children we sponsored with clothes, food, medical care, education, etc for        AN ENTIRE YEAR
Just to give you an idea of our goals for this year's famine, which is February 25-27 (are you doing it with us by the way?), here are some numerical goals we have in mind:

100: Students who will participate in the Famine out front of WalMart this year (not counting adults)
$25,000: Our fundraising goal
70: Sudanese children we hope to sponsor for a year who are being affected by the genocide and refugee camp crisis in Darfur

#7: Student leaders
This September marked our first attempt at putting students through a leadership development course called eXternal. The course consisted of nine weeks of book review, discussion, challenging out-of-class assignments and development of spiritual disciplines (Bible reading, prayer, outreach).  Even though our expectations were clear, the course was tricky due to unforeseen issues that arose (if you ever do something like this, make a clear absence policy, just sayin').

We had tried to pick student leaders back in the spring without adequate training and expected them to, well, just serve.  This time, in September, we used a book called Help, I'm a Student Leader which, pretty much defined a student leader in many more ways than we could've ourselves.

I am supremely confident and proud of the students we selected and trained in this inaugural class. We've seen unbridled passion (Evan), fearlessness (Trever), humility (Whitney), eagerness to serve (Tyler), brilliance (Cory), self-sacrifice (Jonathan) and uncommon maturity (Audrey).  Each of these students has a much brighter future than I had at 16 or 17 years old and I count it a huge blessing to lead and mentor them!

#6: Certain upstanding young men
I know what you're thinking, "TJ, numbers 10 through 7 have been all about your position at church!" This is true. And the next few gentlemen that I'm about to mention make it possible to make my job my life.  I really couldn't do life without Tim Chappell, Ethan Watts, William Norrell and Solomon Berry!

They are so much more than volunteer leaders; more than student ministry workers and mentors. They are my best friends and I hope they know that (if not, they do now)!  Tim is like my accountability partner.  If you're curious who to torture to get all the dirt about me, it's Tim.  (Still not sure he would tell you anything.)  Ethan and William are the epitome of what young college men should be.  I don't know of any churches out there who are as blessed as us to have young, God-fearing, selfless men like them.  And then there's Solomon. Whenever you need anything, no matter what or who you are, go to Solomon.  He is the most humble, giving and compassionate man I've probably ever met.  I don't know if some people truly appreciate him enough. (He probably gets tired of me saying thanks, too).

If you ever want a thriving student ministry you better have a collection of certain upstanding young men like Tim, Ethan, William and Solomon.

#5: A Wiley Veteran by the name of George
Every student ministry needs a George, too.  In many ways, the George's of the world are even more crucial.  There are many times when young men and women focus on reinventing the wheel so much that we forget about the basics, the obvious, the traditions, the disciplines, the way it used to be.  George Archuleta is my reminder about all those things.  When I'm off-course, George is there to make me think twice and get me back on track.  However, when I excel he definitely affirms me and puts wind in my sails. 

I really want George to know how much he is valued.  His life is rich with God's grace and he knows that.  He is a walking example how just being young, cool, tattooed and pierced can be overrated.  I'd rather have a comrade that has the willingness to do whatever is necessary to tell this generation's teens the truth about God's love for them and George has that.  He speaks with an gracious, humble urgency that few can pull off.  Few people are more respected than the George's of this world and that's the way it should be!


#4: The staff of FPC
Next week I will have been at Forest Park Church for two years!  In many ways it feels like I've only been here a few months and that's good because I don't see myself serving anywhere else.

If you know me, then you know I am a perfectionist.  I prefer to be organized, punctual and prepared (for the most part).  I can feel the adult leaders who serve with me nodding their heads in agreement.  However, they don't deal with me on a daily basis like the staff at FPC does.  Let me just give you a short list of the things the staff has done for me in the past year.


  • Bob has charted numerous songs for our band, helped me with counseling and mentoring, received plenty of calls and texts from me during the weekend and after 9pm, let me borrow his truck, been patient with me after messing up files on ProPresenter and has auditioned musicians for me.
  • Kate has been like my second mom in many ways. She has settled me down when I was frustrated and ready to vent unnecessarily at certain people. She has cleaned up after me and students probably many more than I recognize. She has worked more than what she is paid for, always tells me like it is, no sugar-coating, while 99% of the time smiling.
  • Michele has been the most patient with me over all the other staff members.  She makes sure we all have what we need, when we need it, whether that be time, ink or muffins:)  The office has a serenity with Michele at the helm. She's the glue, the heart-and-soul of our team and I don't nearly thank her enough for all that she does and I can't say it all here because even the most mature adults can only read but so much in a blog post.
  • Amber has stepped up every time I've needed her.  If I needed a female vocalists for a song on Wednesday night, she is there.  If I need a vocal coach for someone, she is more than willing. If I need to bounce an idea off someone who will care, that's Amber.
  • Lisa has gone through more than the rest of us combined this year.  All the while, however, Lisa has responded to my calls, emails and texts expeditiously.  She has given me sound advice and has given me the green light to spend 99.9% of the time (that alone would get her on most pastor's lists!).  She is the ultimate trooper. When she has every right to be pessimistic, she isn't. When she could give up her responsibilities and no one would've questioned in the least, she hasn't.  I admire her strength, character and most of all, her faith.
  • Diane You probably don't know her if you're my age or younger at FPC and that's a shame (but it's also by design).  Diane is not about the recognition, she is about serving.  If I need something that I think is too big for me to pull off in a short amount of time, Diane usually has the resources and willingness to make it happen. Her husband, Craig, is the same way.
  • Scott is the only one on this list that can be thanked for giving me a staff review that is longer than most classified sections in newspapers.  I say that with gratitude because I've never had a superior, leader or mentor that has inspired me, pushed me, challenged me and even perplex me as Scott does.  He is another that always takes my calls and hides his expressions very well even when I present to him the wackiest ideas imaginable.  And get this, he's in support of most of them!

#3: A Leader by the name of Jason
Jason and I have had a long year.  Individually for different reasons but together we've had to work through times in which I'm sure we each thought it would be easier if the other one would quit.  We we're to the point in which he taught, I planned and organized and then we prayed it would all just work out without us really communicating with each other beforehand in preparation.

In the beginning of the year, our meetings were like polarizing wars.  Our conversations were like having two teenage boys comparing ex-girlfriends to see who was cooler.  However, when we were both brought face-to-face with this (by who else than Scott), we realized that there was much more at stake than our individual plans or pride.  We were charged with leading a generation of students to Christ and we were failing at it quite miserably.

With renewed vision we came together to plan like we've never had before with RADICAL being the first series out the box. Within that series alone it was so wild that we had: Solomon arrested, Dave Marcei come in weilding a machete, we displayed (on screen, not in real life) a burning cross accompanied with a staged racist-filled riot, not to mention Jason delivering a portion of a message from inside a coffin!

Working together, planning together and reaping the benefits together have brought us closer.  He's like my big brother, even though I'm technically the one in charge.  I believe we continue to inspire each other to grow individually yet we seek to take this ministry to new heights, well, together.


#2: Growth of THE BRINK
Back in February I was trying every gamble or gimmick in the book to have students show interest in what we were doing on Wednesday nights at THE BRINK. I went so far as to do an adaptation of the popular MTV series Silent Library.  It started out just for giggles but as the weeks went on, I felt we had to one-up ourselves with the shock factor.  We one-upped ourselves one too many times when parents started withholding their kids from coming on Wednesday for fear of something inappropriate happening (which should never happen at church, you would think).

When we finally starting simplifying our process, complete with open, inviting environments such as the JumpOFF and Sunday Sports and refining EDGE and THE BRINK we saw that planning and pure passion was what we were lacking (who knew?!).

Within the RADICAL series we broke two attendance records.  Our last month of the year, which featured our Christmas Party/Karaoke Competition & a special Christmas service was even bigger.  We ended up averaging over 61 students each Wednesday night!  A far cry from the measely 25 we averaged during Silent Library.  Our students are not only coming more, but they're giving more (offering) and bringing more friends!  2011 should be more of the same and I can't wait for that, either!


#1: Jenny
What can I say? If you know me, is this really a surprise? Of course not!  I've known Jenny now for more than a year, but mostly from being on the opposite side of a bank drive-thru window.  I imagined almost each time how I would speak to her if I had more than a few minutes with her.  One spring day I decided to ask for her number and text her (yes, text her, I was afraid).  I told her how I was always thinking of her and how beautiful she was.

A few days later we had our first date.  And by our third date I knew she was "the one" (which completely freaked me out, btw).  This wasn't easy because in my position as a pastor, I am supposed to exhibit exceptional patience and judgment.  Hollywood has one thing right about relationships, though; love makes you do crazy, irrational things.

I began writing her love letters on takeout boxes.  I texted her lines of original poetry.  I began to spend hours sharing my faith with her.  Looking back on it now, it was all such a beautiful process.  I could definitely tell you infinitely more about our 8-month journey (today is actually 8 months for us).  I have found the woman I will always love, my future wife!  On December 15th, I proposed to Jenny in front of 80 of our closest friends during THE BRINK.  It will always be an amazing memory, but I'm not thankful for that or even that she said yes (a huge plus, I might add).  Out of all the wonderful things that I've experienced this year, I am most thankful just for her, Jenny Erin Britt!

Well that's it! That's the nutshell of 2010 from my eyes:)

Thanks for reading and I pray 2011 holds a ride for you that you'll never forget, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment