January 2, 2014

Genesis 3: Vegans & Gender Equality

My desire to be in God's word more than ever is not just a resolution for the New Year but something I need to become a better father, husband, pastor and leader.

Speaking of being a pastor, one of the things I really have to focus on is being succinct. If you've ever had a conversation with me, you'd know that I talk a lot. I share a lot of information; pretty much whatever interests me or has recently blew my mind. Ask my wife how many times a day I start a conversation with, "I was reading this article/watching this documentary/this video and..."

With that being said, I'm in the process of a going through a reading plan through my Glo Bible (an app on my iPhone). In the spirit of CDM (Constantly Dodging Monotony), I wanted to share a few insights I've noticed in my readings that may inspire you or, perhaps, get you interested in delving into the Bible for yourself.

Vegans and Gender Equality

The earth and everything in it has been created. God claims everything to be "good" but when he finishes creating Adam, creation in its totality becomes "very good." (Gen 1:31) This is the first way to tell that humanity is the prized "jewel of creation" as it has been said.

Have you ever noticed the implication of Genesis 1:30, though? Animals (birds AND beasts) solely eat vegetation. The next day, when Adam is created, he is given the same diet.  Can you imagine a world where one could safely walk through the jungle or deep wilderness without any fear of being mauled by a wild animal? That's what Adam had. No doubt, lions and lambs grazed on the same patches of land without disruption. (Seeing slow motion footage of a gazelle being eaten alive by a lion or hyenas has always been disheartening for me.) Buzzards and other scavengers of today ate the same, too, since there wasn't any decomposing carcasses to devour.

Adam would be a vegan. Here's an interesting question: Did God initially create humans to be vegans? It makes me wonder if the body was designed to run at its most efficient state when it only had water, fruits and vegetables. He also had access to fruit juices and maybe even coconut juice. It seems logical, right?

I'm not implying that eating meat is sinful. However, in a perfect world not one living thing would have to die in order to be food for another. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that heaven's diet may revert back to this perfect-state standard, right? Pardon me, while I go eat a banana.

Let's talk about something else that, no doubt, was different before the presence of sin and will be in heaven, as well.

I know that many of you have read the account of Eve being deceived by the serpent, but I want to challenge you to consider something else the passage may suggest.

Look at Genesis 3 yourself. (Follow along here)

Is Eve alone when she's talking with the serpent or eating from the tree? (Look at verse 6, the last line) Adam is there! Adam is, from what we can tell, completely complicit, silent and not offering any suggestions or accountability.

Eve is the one talking, the one who is deceived, tempted and decides to go against God's command.

Adam's sin was slightly different. Even though he may have been deceived, tempted and, obviously, did eat from the restricted tree,

Adam was guilty of being spineless.

He seemed to be in the perfect position to protect his wife (not to mention humanity, animals and all of the earth in the process) but he didn't. Was Eve determined? Did she coerce Adam to go along with the deception? Possibly, even though that amount of detail is not present in Genesis 3.

What is clear and unmistakeable is Adam's silence.  He does nothing but add to the debacle by not holding his wife accountable and stopping her.

Afterward eating the forbidden fruit, the first thing Adam and Eve notice is their nakedness. (3:7) They immediately seek privacy; don't confuse that with modesty. The first barrier between a married couple after sin was inherently a sexual barrier. Married men, you know what I'm talking about, right? It's still the first barrier we encounter when there's an issue with our wives.

That makes me laugh:) LOL! (And yes, I literally did laugh out loud.)

After a round of everyone passing the blame (Adam to Eve to the serpent in 3:12-13), I want you to notice what Eve was cursed with as punishment. I'm sure there's an interesting insight to be told as to why childbirth was made super-painful but the one I'm curious about is the next curse, which flies under the radar and can be easily missed. In the second part of Genesis 3:16, God told Eve,

"Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

This is in stark contrast to what we saw at the trunk of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, right? Eve seemed to be in control of the conversation and decision-making when it came between her and Adam. It was her decision coupled with Adam's inaction and collaboration that caused this mess.

(Jesus is, by the way, the solution to this problem. His death on the cross and resurrection is the payment for humanity's sin. If we first accept and believe that and then live by His words and commands, we can start to experience the life God truly means for us to have.)

The beginning of the end of humanity's perfection began with Adam's lack of influence on his wife. He was not only accountable for the garden and all the animals but also his wife and HE FAILED!

Most people blame Eve, letting Adam get off the hook too lightly. So God forces Adam's hand and curses Eve in the process.
Men were now to "rule over" their wives. No doubt this is the beginning of what is well-known as a male-dominated family structure and culture that began in the Middle East and is still prevalent in America. In Latin America it is known as machismo. But instead of leadership, cultures have abused this role to make the livelihoods of the female gender to be even more cursed.

To this day, women are paid less to work the same jobs, are the majority of the victims of domestic violence in the home, are raped and sexually assaulted almost exclusively, are labeled as "feminists" if they demand equal rights and the list goes on and on.

Don't get the Bible twisted. I believe God is forcing Adam to lead and provide accountability to his wife, to protect, serve and rule the relationship not to victimize the female gender.

Let's ask this question in response, "What does a perfect situation, void of sin, look like then?"

It is my humble belief that in a perfect society, as it will be one day in heaven, males and females again would be equals. Respect, accountability, influence and leadership would flow both ways. The possibility of abusing this role would diminish with gender equality, since the female is also a "jewel of creation."

(And c'mon men, you can agree that women are more apt to be praised as a jewel because of their beauty. Men aren't that pretty.)

The creation story does inspire me to worship God as the ultimate Creator of all things, but after reading through it again this week, I've also learned to consider my diet (which is full of meat, cheese and junk food) and my on-going relationship with my wife.  Providing accountability isn't necessarily my weakness but I can always be challenged to value my wife's (and any female's) opinion just as valid as I consider my own.  Abusing influence is worsening the curse.  Let's flip that, shall we?

Thanks for coming along! Would love your questions, comments, thoughts and even accountability!

Update:
A friend of a friend posted Isaiah 25:6 in response to my blog, which says (speaking of the future):

"On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare
a feast of rich food for all peoples,
a banquet of aged wine—
the best of meats and the finest of wines."

Him and I both agree that if God created everything we know, then isn't it possible for him to create meat without slaughter? Sure. Or it will be the best tasting, textured tofu you've ever had!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back writing! However, I don't come to same conclusion as you about what we are meant to eat. I understand the ideological nature of what you are saying (in a sinless world, this is how it should be). But I don't think changing our diet to match Adam and Eves gains us anything in righteousness. In Acts, Peter is trying to maintain certain dietary restrictions for the sake of righteousness, and presumably telling others to do the same. But when God sends him a message, He not only says that its ok for people to eat everything, He is told to take and eat. And think there is something good in accepting God's changing parameters for humanity
    As far as the roles of man and woman, I agree that many take the male headship all the wrong way, but I think the pendulum is beginning to swing to the other error of gender neutrality and nothing is being said for fear of being accused of the first error. I believe God's plan for the family is all about reflecting heavenly things. We are given roles in the family so that we can understand more about how heavenly relationships work, and I believe that is God's plan. God as father, humanity as a loved yet wayward son, Christ as a husband, Christians as a wife. Gender neutrality negates these purposes. Even in the beginning, Eve was made for the purpose of being a helper for Adam; there was still leadership/roles/hierarchy/whatever you want to call it. Both failed at there roles and still do today, but that doesn't mean we have the liberty to do away with them or even lessen them.
    Great post! Never realized Adam was right beside Eve at the encounter with the serpent. Hope you keep the writing going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I have read your blog. Very good, and pretty much agree with your interpretation. Look forward to more of the same. --Russ

    ReplyDelete