June 1, 2009

The saddest thing I've seen this week so far....

It came to my attention we desperately needed new headphones for the cd demo section in the bookstore, so I offered to run up to Roses to buy a cheapy pair, which I did.

I was at the counter, behind this one gentlemen who didn't particularly smell so fresh so clean, but that's beside the point. I saw this little kid, no more than 2 years old, take his iddy-bitty steps over to a bright yellow and orange squirt gun that was shaped like a pistol.

As his eyes lit up with excitement, he grabbed the package and immediately I saw the index finger on his right hand begin to twitch in anticipation of pulling a trigger. I thought to myself...

"How does a kid that young instinctively know how to pull a trigger and what a gun is?"

Even though I know I played cops and robbers when I was young, I would love and consider my fathering skills acceptable if my 2 year-old would see a gun and say, "what's that? what does it do?" I hope I'm not watching all these shoot-em-ups, having all sorts of guns present around my kids, etc so that they think that guns are made for pointing at people.

Wow, it's like a sport. A sick, twisted, evil-inspired sport that's void of consequences but an avenue to unleash revenge, rage and hatred. It's a modern-day, anything goes, everybody's a player in a gladiator-like sport where anyone can be clipped, whacked, whatever.

This is about as liberal (if that's what you wanna call it) as I get on certain issues, but I don't get the 2nd Amendment. I'd rather have hairy, bear arms than to bear firearms. Statistics show that having a gun in the house prevents less than 10% of all break-ins or attempted murders, anyway. I think gun control is a pro-life issue, actually.

Trust me, this is an issue that even my parents and I disagree on, so I know I'll get some raised eyebrows from my elders. I have no problem with rifles, hunting for sustenance, etc. But I tend to look at it this way...

If you combine the populations of Great Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark and Australia, you'll get a population roughly the size of the United States. We had over 40,000 gun deaths last year. They had under 200. Do you think it's because Americans are more homicidal by nature? Or do you think it's because those guys have gun control laws?


Thanks Toby;) Enough said!

No comments:

Post a Comment