May 22, 2009

Perspective

For the past six years my life has constantly been in a state of flux. I have grown accustomed to liking it that way, as well. Within those five years I have lived in:

Montreat, NC
Swannanoa, NC
Asheville, NC
Hertford, NC
Manteo, NC
Pasadena, CA (in 3 different apartments, I might add)
Edenton, NC
AND, as of two weeks ago to Elizabeth City!

That's 10 places in six years and I'm a conscientious objector! (in other words, im not in the military)

Wow! Once I recount where I've been and the memories I have accumulated in that time it is overwhelming and a joy to recall at the same time!

One thing I have learned in my life is that keeping still, not pressing forward, not challenging yourself and not being in motion is NOT a good thing!

Let me give you one example of what I mean by this. People, especially within Christian bubbles, circles, whatever tend to think that if you're in a good seeking relationship with God that many things will not change. In fact, most of the things you are taught in the infancy of your faith will always be true because they are above reproach.

My time in seminary shot that to the ground. I ended up rethinking, evaluating and challenging almost everything that I had learned by being a child and student in church. I've learned that as you get closer and closer to God, your perspective changes and not at all for the worse.

Think of it this way. The Bible looks like any book from ten yards away, from ten feet away you can tell it has the nice gold page linings (or silver sometimes, if you wanna be a rebel) so it must be a "holy" book but from 10 INCHES from your face you can read for yourself what God wants you to know. You can know a lot of things about it, but you really, really discover new things when you're wrestling with it yourself.

As I got closer to God, He wasn't just a God that loved me, or the man Jesus who died for me but a constant figure that is not only interested in my every breath but wants to be everywhere with me, talk with me, love me and provide for me at all times!

So, of course, as I have gotten closer to God (through His people & Word, which never work adequately without one another, I might add) I have noticed that He is bigger, loves more and is more while I become smaller and should become less and less concerned about myself. If anything I need to be concerned of how I can lose myself and simply act, think and love like Christ would.

In closing, closeness does not equal clarity. I have more questions but as far as I know I have a more and more powerful and loving God. A God that doesn't want to be separated but wants to be closer to me. That's why Jesus, the man came, so that God would not be up there, but be here with me and anyone else! Even if you don't seek, Christ still seeks you; God is the ultimate stalker....ok, that might've been a little sacreligious.

I ask you this...don't be afraid to ask the questions that no one wants to ask openly. If you truly can't wrap your mind around the Trinity, for example, SAY SO! Who has the totality of that theology figured out anyway? You're not a heretic in my book, you're just a person seeking to be closer and a tad bit more intimate with God. Knowledge is not the key, it's the willingness and humility to say, "hmmm...i ain't got that figured out."

In fact, people who honestly question for the sake of sanity (not for the sake of cynicism) are sorely needed within the church. The doubters bring about new, joyous revelations NOT the ones that think there's nothing to question and everyone to label!

I hope that encourages some and humbles others, because I am constantly humbled everyday by a cast of wise friends, collegues and family members!

Thanks for the eye-time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment